OWNER & DIRECTOR AT TSC SURFACE CRITICAL PRODUCTS LTD 2004 - PRESENT
Micro-business providing technical consultancy to industry that is manufacturing or using surface-critical aluminium products and anodic aluminium oxide.
• Managed clients’ R&D programmes including internal and out-sourced practical work
• Analysed new product opportunities and carried out fitness-for-purpose investigations
• Developed product specifications and advised on process technology
• Produced process specifications and advised on engineering and implementation
• Led teams developing corporate standards for surface-treatment environmental technology
• Prepared and delivered training courses on the surface treatment and performance of aluminium products
• Investigated issues with service performance
• Provided consultancy as an anodizing expert (worked on anodized aluminium since 1971)
• Clients in continental Europe, USA, China, Africa, Australasia and UK
• Member of: CEN working group for anodizing standards (2005-2006, 2016-); ISO subcommittee for anodizing standards (2007- ); Qualanod technical committee (2003- ) & its chairman (2008- ) and executive committee (2008- )
PRODUCT MANAGER, ANODIZING & BRIGHT IN ALCAN ROLLED PRODUCTS EUROPE 2002 - 2004
Responsible for providing specialist support on anodizing and bright rolled-products to European sales teams.
ALCAN INTERNATIONAL LTD 1978 - 2002
Technical Leader responsible for R&D projects at European research centres supporting market managers for anodizing and bright products. Project Leader responsible for: providing technical support to Alcan extrusion finishing plants worldwide; developing a specification and process cost model for a coil-anodizing line; applied research on the cleaning and pretreatment of aluminium rolled products; initiating and leading technical work to reduce the environmental impact of emissions from Alcan plants; growing the technical development of Anopore® micro- and nano-porous membranes based on anodizing technology. Responsible for leading and participating in environmental compliance review teams at Alcan plants in the UK and France.
University of Manchester - Institute of Science and Technology. 1974 - 1977
University of Manchester - Institute of Science and Technology. PhD, corrosion science
University of Sheffield. BMet, metallurgy